First responders reported that a person electrocuted in a fountain at Harbourside Place in Jupiter, Florida, resulted in one death and four injuries.
When police and firefighters arrived at the scene at around 3:30 p.m. in response to a report that a child was in distress at the fountain in front of a stage, they discovered that several adults and children had suffered injuries from electric shock, according to the Jupiter Police Department and Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.
“When we arrived on the scene, the Jupiter Police Department and civilians were treating patients when we got here, so they got here very quick, and the community and Jupiter police were also involved in that, and that was a good thing,” Capt. Tom Reyes of the Palm Beach County Fire Rescue, told ABC affiliate WPBF on Sunday.
As detectives tried to figure out what happened, Florida Power & Light turned off the area’s electricity, according to investigators.
First responders said that the five victims—two adults and three minors—were taken to nearby hospitals.
According to authorities, one of the adult victims passed away on Monday, while the other adult was discharged from the hospital. According to authorities, the three youngsters were still in the hospital and were still getting better.
The investigation into the incident is ongoing, according to police.