A British traveller claims that while on vacation in Cyprus, five guys assaulted her in her hotel room.
The 20-year-old woman reported to the Cypriot police that five men attacked her in her hotel in the Famagusta city.
Five Israeli men have since been detained by Cypriot police.
A spokesman at the island’s police headquarters in Nicosia said on Monday: “The five were detained overnight in a cell following the charges. They will appear today before Famagusta’s district court. We have not released their ages but can confirm that they are all young.”
The news comes after a British lady last year successfully argued against her conviction for ‘lying’ about being gang-raped by 12 tourists in Cyprus when she was 18 years old.
After a march against immigrants and refugees in Limassol, the island’s second-largest city, descended into violence with mobs damaging property, Cyprus police detained 20 persons on Friday.
After roughly 500 people marched through the streets on Friday evening, there was turbulence that resulted in five injuries, according to the police.
Police said that some establishments were vandalised as well as trash cans being set on fire. Some foreigners were allegedly attacked during the march, according to witnesses quoted by Cypriot media sites.
According to the Reuters news agency, unrest persisted into the early hours of Sunday, assaulting Asian delivery drivers and smashing migrant businesses.
The protesters—some of whom were hooded and carried signs that said “Refugees not welcome”—were scattered by police using water cannons.
Three Southeast Asian nationals were reportedly beaten and robbed throughout the course of the night between Saturday and Sunday.
According to witness testimonies on social media, a group of travellers from Kuwait were among the victims.
Senior diplomat Kyriakos Kouros claimed a protest was filed on Saturday after tourists were targeted by the ambassador of an unnamed Arab state.
“They cut short their visit. I doubt they will ever return,” Kouros, permanent secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, wrote on the social media platform X on Sunday, posting a picture of the departure of a group at an airport. One member of the group was in a wheelchair.
“It is the first time I have felt so embarrassed about such an incident in our country,” he wrote. “This isn’t the Cyprus I was born, raised, had a family and am getting old in,” he said.