Vicky Flind, the wife of Huw Edwards, named him as the presenter in a statement issued on his behalf on Wednesday evening.
According to the Metropolitan Police, no criminal offence has been committed by the BBC presenter facing allegations over payments for sexually explicit images, who has now been named as newsreader Huw Edwards.
She pleaded for privacy for her family and stated that her husband was “suffering from serious mental health issues” and was currently “receiving in-patient hospital care where he will stay for the foreseeable future.”
Huw was first made aware of the allegations last Thursday, she continued.
A high-profile BBC presenter was the subject of severe claims made by The Sun newspaper on Friday. The newspaper claimed to have received proof that the presenter had paid a youngster up to £35,000 for explicit images of them.
The Met Police has assessed the claims and say “there is no information to indicate that a criminal offence has been committed”.
In a statement Ms Flind, said: “In light of the recent reporting regarding the ‘BBC Presenter’ I am making this statement on behalf of my husband Huw Edwards, after what have been five extremely difficult days for our family.
“I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children.
“Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues. As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.
“The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he’ll stay for the foreseeable future.
“Once well enough to do so, he intends to respond to the stories that have been published.
“To be clear Huw was first told that there were allegations being made against him last Thursday.
“In the circumstances and given Huw’s condition I would like to ask that the privacy of my family and everyone else caught up in these upsetting events is respected.
“I know that Huw is deeply sorry that so many colleagues have been impacted by the recent media speculation. We hope this statement will bring that to an end.”
After the Metropolitan Police said it would take no further action, a spokesperson for the BBC said: “We have seen the statement from the police confirming they have completed their assessment and are not taking further action. We’re grateful to them for completing this work at speed.
“The police had previously asked us to pause our fact finding investigations and we will now move forward with that work, ensuring due process and a thorough assessment of the facts, whilst continuing to be mindful of our duty of care to all involved.”
According to sources, Mr. Edwards, who has worked for the BBC for close to 40 years, has not resigned.