Lionel Messi has apologized to Paris Saint-Germain and his teammates for traveling to Saudi Arabia for two days earlier this week without permission.
According to reports in France, the World Cup winner has been suspended by PSG for two weeks. During this time, he is not permitted to practice or play with the club and will also lose income.
“First of all, I want to apologise to my teammates and the club,” Messi said in the video clip, posted to his Instagram story. “Honestly, I thought we [the squad] were going to have a day off after the game like we did in previous weeks.”
“I had this trip [to Saudi Arabia] organised which I had cancelled [once] already; I could not cancel it again,” Messi added. “I repeat: I want to say sorry for what I did. I’m waiting to hear what the club want to do with me”.
This week, it was widely reported that Messi won’t be given a new contract when his current one expires this summer. When the player returns from suspension, according to PSG head coach Christophe Galtier, they will discuss his immediate future with the team.
“We’ll see when Leo returns what will happen,” Galtier told a press conference on Friday. “Obviously, there will be discussions with the entire club but also with Leo, who is the primary person involved.”
The club informed Galtier that Messi had been suspended, but he would not say whether he agreed with the decision. The coach claimed, “I did not have to make the decision,” the coach said. “I was informed of the decision.”
According to rumors, Messi may join Inter Miami in the Major League Soccer, make a comeback to Barcelona, or make a lucrative move to Saudi Arabia with Al Hilal. The French league leaders have had a difficult week as some supporters have gathered outside Neymar’s house to demand that he also leave the team.
“Private life must remain private,” Galtier said in response to the protests. “I can understand the anger, the disappointment of our fans. I can understand protesting here at our workplace after a match at Parc des Princes.”
To visit a player’s private residence, though, is “out of control and dangerous,” according to Galtier. In March, Neymar underwent season-ending surgery on his right ankle.