The officer allegedly was shot by one of his senior colleagues from the Western North regional police command, which led to his untimely death.
Following an incident between the two in the Western North Region, a senior officer of the Ghanaian police force has been detained on suspicion of killing Constable David Gbati, a junior member of the force.
“The Constable met his untimely death when he was allegedly shot by one of his senior colleagues of the Western North Regional Police Command when they were returning from an operation last night,” according to a statement released by the police on Saturday (6 May).
“The victim was rushed to the hospital for medical attention but unfortunately, he was pronounced dead on arrival,” the statement added.
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) George Akuffo Dampare has dispatched a team from Accra to “assess the situation and interact with the personnel,” the statement added.
The police statement’s complete information are provided below:
POLICE INVESTIGATE DEATH OF A POLICE CONSTABLE IN THE WESTERN NORTH REGION
1. The Police have commenced investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a Police Constable in the Western North Region on 5th May, 2023.
2. The Constable met his untimely death when he was allegedly shot by one of his senior colleagues of the Western North Regional Police Command when they were returning from an operation last night. The victim was rushed to the hospital for medical attention but unfortunately, he was pronounced dead on arrival.
3. Immediately after the incident occurred, the Inspector-General of Police dispatched a team which left Accra last night and arrived in the Region in the early hours of today to assess the situation and interact with the personnel. The team was led by Commissioner of Police Mrs. Habiba Twumasi Sarpong, Director-General/Welfare.
4. The Inspector-General of Police this morning dispatched another team of Police Management Board members led by Commissioner of Police Mr. Christian Tetteh Yohuno, Director-General/Administration, to visit the family of the deceased and formally notify them of his passing, commiserate with them and also assure them of a thorough investigation into the incident.
5. A Police clinical psychologist has been assigned to the family to support them through this difficult time. Another team of clinical psychologists has also been deployed to the Western Regional Police Command to offer psycho-social support to the personnel of the Command following the tragic loss of our colleague.
6. Meanwhile, the suspect Police officer is in custody as part of the investigation process in line with the due process of the law.
7. May the soul of our departed colleague rest in perfect peace.
We welcome your stories and promotional content! Whether you have a captivating tale to share or want to advertise your brand, we’d love to hear from you. Simply send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (+233594103704).
Also, don’t forget to join our news group on WhatsApp to stay updated with the latest news and events. Please note that all submissions must be in English language. We look forward to hearing from you.